How Volunteering with Veterans Launched Mindful Yoga Therapy
Suzanne Manafort is the Founder of Mindful Yoga Therapy, a Give Back Yoga Legacy Program that helps veterans and first responders lead peaceful, healthy, and productive lives through the practices of yoga and mindfulness. Suzanne began volunteering at her local Veteran’s Administration hospital more than a decade ago. She quickly recognized the benefits of the practice for this population and the need for more experienced teachers. In the years since, her organization has distributed more than 18,000 practice guides to veterans and trained hundreds of teachers to work with people affected by severe trauma.
In this 45-minute interview, we’ll cover:
- The origin story: how the Mindful Yoga Therapy was started and what the early years were like
- How the organization’s mission, work, and programs have evolved over the years
- The vision: where the organization is going, and how it plans to get there
This interview will be hosted by Rob Schware, Executive Director of the Give Back Yoga Foundation.
More Inaugural Week Interviews:
- How The Prison Yoga Project Was Started, an origin story interview with James Fox
- How an Eating Disorder Sufferer, Turned Researcher Started Eat Breathe Thrive, an origin story interview with Chelsea Roff
- How a Yoga Teacher and Her Student Started the Give Back Yoga Foundation, an origin story interview with Beryl Bender Birch and Rob Schware
- How a Disease That Nearly Took Her Breath Away Inspired yoga4cancer, an origin story interview with Tari Prinster
- How a Relapse Helped to Launch Yoga of 12-Step Recovery, an origin story interview with Nikki Myers
A Note on Seva (Service):
Many of our faculty donate their time and receive no compensation from course fees. The funds we raise through this platform go to support Give Back Yoga Foundation and its key initiatives: mat donations, small grants, and not-for-profit yoga programs for people facing addiction, eating disorders, cancer, incarceration, and PTSD. Learn more about our work here.