Grounding in Uncertain Times with Winnie Nazarko and Brian Lesage
The teachings of the Buddha and the tools they offer are suited for this time. Like the days of the historical Buddha, our current reality is one of turmoil, insecurity and social discord.
As a collective, we need to navigate these days of pandemic and the challenges of meeting the truth of racism in our society. To do so, we need stable, wise heart/minds which can act with care and skill. In order to develop inner strength, and not get swept away, we need to learn how to ground and balance and calm ourselves.
The practice of meditation teaches us how to work with our heart/minds, recognizing and strengthening the goodness we already have. We can intentionally develop further goodwill, compassion and equanimity by directly cultivating these qualities.
This retreat will provide instruction in both mindfulness (vipassana) meditation, and in lovingkindness (metta) practices. There will also be talks which help frame the teachings which are the source of these meditations.
As a community, on-line, we will be supported by the presence of others who similarly value spiritual development.
Open to all, beginner and experienced meditators alike.
Cost is sliding-scale: $400, $220, or $150, your choice. Registration fees support the Insight Meditation Society’s work online and at our physical retreat centers in Barre, MA. Scholarships are available. We welcome you to reach out, nobody will be turned away for lack of funds. For more information, please email [email protected].
A note on dana (generosity)
Most IMS teachers—like insight teachers around the world—rely on the generosity of students for their livelihood, and receive no compensation from course fees. All IMS online teachers receive a modest dana advance from IMS to guarantee a minimum level of financial support. (Click here to learn more about the dana practice.) There will be an opportunity to offer a contribution to your teachers at the end of this course.
The schedule for this retreat is below. In addition to these guided sessions, if feasible in your circumstances, we encourage you to additional practice. We realize some folks won’t be able to do this, but if you can this would make extra good use of your retreat days.
You might add periods of sitting meditation, and two half - hour walking ( or alternative movement if walking is in any way problematic) sessions to your day. For more experienced practitioners who have the time, you might want to add even more sessions than this.
Note: all times are listed in Eastern Daylight Time EDT:
Note: all sessions will be recorded and posted so you can view it later if you missed one
Wednesday, July 15
Wednesday, July 15
- 10:00 – 11:00 Orientation and Opening – Sitting Meditation: Instructions on Settling Into Meditation - Winnie & Brian
- 1:00 – 1:45 Sitting Meditation followed by Walking Meditation Instructions - Brian
- 4:00 – 5:30 Dharma Talk (context for practice discussion) and Further Instructions on Settling Into Meditation and Being Mindful in Daily Activities - Winnie
- 7:00 - 7:45 – Sitting Meditation and Chanting - Brian
Thursday, July 16
- 10:00 – 11:00 Sitting Meditation: Instructions on Mindfulness of the Body and Physical Sensations - Brian
- 1:00 – 1:45 Sitting Meditation followed by Walking Meditation Instructions - Winnie
- 4:00 - 5:30 Dharma Talk (context for practice), Sitting Meditation, Q & A - Brian
- 7:00 - 7:45 Sitting Meditation and Chanting - Winnie
Friday, July 17
- 10:00 - 11:00 Sitting Meditation: Instructions on Mindfulness of Thinking - Winnie
- 1:00 – 1:45 Guided Loving Kindness Meditation - Brian
- 4:00 – 5:30 Dharma Talk (context for practice), Sitting Meditation, Q & A - Winnie
- 7:00 – 7:45 Sitting Meditation and Chanting - Brian
Saturday, July 18
- 10:00 – 11:00 Sitting Meditation: Instructions on Mindfulness of Emotions - Brian
- 1:00 - 1:45 Guided Loving Kindness Meditation - Winnie
- 4:00 – 5:30 Dharma Talk, Sitting Meditation followed by Q &A - Brian
- 7:00 – 7:45 Sitting Meditation and Chanting - Winnie
Sunday, July 19 Closing
- 10:00 - 11:00 Sitting Meditation and Instruction of Continuing Practice - Brian
- 1:00 – 2:30 Q & A and Closing - Winnie & Brian